Our Concern for the Churches
The Apostel Paul spoke of his daily concern for the churches, and his own weakness as he confronted the trials of ministry. Although my trials pale in comparison, I can identify with Paul’s concern for the churches.
This past Sunday Dawn and I were able to visit one of the churches that we are helping to start. The church in Ensenada is led by Pastor Petri, and his wife, Yudy . We enjoyed the opportunity to see how the church is growing, and to interact with the leadership team to get an update from them on how they felt things are going.
One of the blessings of planting churches is that the gospel is going forward, and lives are being transformed, yet there are challenges that our church planters face. Dawn and I seek to not only be faithful to pray for our church planters but to encourage them in their work.
Petri & Yudy – Bi-vocational Church Planting
Petri and Yudy are bi-vocational so there are many demands on their time. The advantage to being bi-vocational is that it takes some of the financial pressure off of the church planter, and it gives them some natural networks in the community through their workplace. Both Petri and Yudy are well respected in their community. Dawn and I love visiting and meeting the new people that have started coming to the church.
One of the goals of a church plant is to reach new people for Christ. We don’t want the church to grow just through people shuffling from one church to another. So it gives us great joy to see the new people who are on a journey and coming into relationship with Christ through the witness of the church. The church in Ensenada is called, Renuevo, which means renewal. That is what Petri and Yudy and their team are seeking to do, to bring renewal to Ensenada through the good news of Christ.
On Sunday I had the opportunity to preach at Renuevo. What a joy to meet the people and to share the love of Christ with them.
Prayer is such a big part of seeing the churches grow and flourish, so please continue to feverently pray for us and our partners.
- Pastor Petri and Yudy and their leadership team
- Wisdom as they reach out to new families
- The upcoming VBS that they will hold from July 22-27.
- A group from Skyview Presbyterian church who will be coming from Colorado to help with the VBS outreach in July.
- Also for the other church planters that we work with in Tijuana, Rosarito and Mexicali.
- This weekend Dawn and I will be visiting Pastor Mere and Edna Godinez in Mexicali.
- Dawn and I are also meeting a pastor in Tijuana and a pastor in Mexicali that we are exploring the possibility of starting a new church with in the cities they live in.
Thanks, dear friends for your ongoing encouragement and for faithfulness to pray for us and the ministry on the Border, Baja and Beyond!
In His Grip, Dave